Friday 29 March 2013

Choccywoccydoodah

It was Mr F's birthday yesterday (he is so not impressed by being halfway to 50 now!!) so I baked him the old family favourite, Chocolate Cake.  Now, this is no ordinary chocolate cake, it is simply the best chocolate cake, in my humble opinion of course!!
 
Many years ago I started out on a mission to find the best chocolate cake I could & after baking, & sampling, too many to mention of the things, I finally had that hallelujah moment when I found this recipe.  All of the previous recipes I'd tried before this one had been ok.......but that was it, just ok.  Not brilliant or truly delicious or anything I'd particularly bake time & time again.  Until this little baby!!
 

 

 

When I first read the recipe & saw it contained Coca-Cola (or any other full-sugar cola drink!!) I thought it'd be really sugary sweet & a bit bleuurgghhh, truth be told.  But I've never been so happy to be proven wrong!!   It has never failed & I've passed on the recipe to many people who have also loved it & is now a firm family favourite.  So if you're after a really moist choc cake, that will stay moist for days after (not that it lasts longer than a day in my house!) then this is the one for you.  Thank you James Martin!!!

 



 
 
Chocolate Cola Cake                    180C/350F/Gas4              Lined 24cm tin
 
Ingredients
250g self-raising flour
300g golden caster sugar
3 heaped tbsp cocoa
generous pinch bicarbonate of soda
250g butter
250ml cola drink
125ml milk
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
 
Frosting
100g butter
2 tbsp cola
2 tbsp cocoa
200g icing sugar, sieved
 
Method
Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa & bicarb into a bowl.  Melt the butter & cola gently in a pan.  Beat the eggs into the milk & add the vanilla extract.
Pour the butter & cola mix into the dry ingredients & mix well but gently.  Add the milk & eggs & mix well.
Pour the batter into the tin & bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Remove from the oven & cool while you make the frosting.
Melt the butter, cola & cocoa in a pan.  It may or may not split but don't worry if it does.
Pour onto the icing sugar & mix well.  Leave to cool down & thicken slightly.
Spread the frosting onto the cake while it is still slightly warm.
Devour!!
 
 
I've also adapted this cake slightly before by omitting the vanilla & replacing with pure orange extract & orange zest or peppermint extract to make choc orange or choc mint cake - obviously!!  It also makes great cupcakes, just lower the oven temperature to 170C & bake for 20-22 minutes.  Makes around 24 cupcakes.
 
I hope you try & enjoy this heavenly cake as much as we all do!!
Bon appetit!
 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...