Sunday 21 April 2013

Lazy Sunday afternoon

I'm having the most lovely lazy day today instead of our usual Sunday shenanigans of bombing round B&Q or Homebase & then decorating!  I was actually left to lie in this morning & didn't even wake up until 9.45am so I just thought I'd carry the lazy theme on with a little breakfast in bed catching up on my blogs via Bloglovin' (how fab is this website?!)
 
I've decided that I seriously need to get back on the diet bandwagon that I have so dramatically fallen off of in recent months so today will be my last day of gorging on piggylicious food!  I'm doing a bloody delish slow-cooked smokey bbq pulled pork served in soft, floury rolls with 'slaw & potato wedges followed by yesterday's leftover coconut cake with frozen yoghurt.  This is such an easy dish to make & as you leave it in the slow-cooker all day, you can just go about your day as normal.  Try it, I promise you'll love it!  This recipe has been adapted slightly from www.skinnytaste.com
 
Slow-cooked BBQ pulled pork
serves 4-6
 
1.5kg boneless shoulder of pork, trimmed of all fat & rind, if any
1 large onion, sliced into half moons
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp Hickory liquid smoke
1 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp sea salt
 2 small jars of bbq sauce
 
 
Directions
 
Scatter half of the onion on the bottom of your slow-cooker pot & place the pork on top.
Scatter the rest of the onion & other ingredients over the top but only use ONE jar of sauce.
Cover & leave on medium for 6-7 hours.
Remove the pork & set aside.  Shred it with 2 forks & put back in the slow-cooker with the remaining jar of bbq sauce. 
Cook on low for another hour.
Serve on rolls with coleslaw & potato wedges or skinny fries.
Nom nom!!
 
 
Although my cousin brought me my liquid smoke from the US when they were last here, it's also available from Amazon & really is worth buying.  It can be used on so many things, steak & salmon are favourites for us.  The coconut cake is also fantastic, so moist & very moreish.  I add a few drops of pure coconut extract just to pump up the flavour a bit & love the one from Uncle Roy's.
 
Coconut Cake
oven 180c   grease & line a 20cm square pan
 
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
25g cornflour
225g soft butter or Stork tub
225g caster sugar
4 eggs
50g dessicated coconut soaked in 150ml boiling water & left to cool
few drops coconut extract
*
100g soft butter
200g icing sugar, sieved
few drops of coconut extract
3 tsp Malibu (optional)
toasted coconut (optional)
 
Cream the butter & sugar well then add the coconut extract. 
Beat the eggs in one at a time with a tbsp of flour, cornflour & baking powder with each one.
Fold in the rest of the flour, cornflour & baking powder.
Add the soaked coconut (don't drain if water has not all absorbed)
Pour into the tin & bake for around 35 minutes (ovens will vary so test)
Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
Toast a handful of coconut in a dry pan if you want to use as decoration & extra crunch.
Cream togther the butter & icing sugar & add the coconut extract & Malibu.
Spread over the cool cake & sprinkle toasted coconut on top.


 
 
Anyway, it's going to be an early wine o'clock for me today, the last for a while!  And the sun is shining & I have to ask myself why I'm sitting in my wee office...it'll probably be torrential rain again tomorrow.....or snow.......
Bon dimanche a tout le monde!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
*Excuse the laundry!!!*
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...