Monday 20 May 2013

May Book Club review

So this month was a 'classic read' month & as a group, we decided on Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez.
 
 
 
 
 
This is the story of Florentina Ariza, a hopeless romantic who falls in love with Fermina Daza when they are both in their teens.  He is left heart-broken when she rejects him & goes on to marry the distinguished Dr Juvenal Urbino.
 
Florentina can never forget his first true love & when 51 years, 9 months & 4 days after she marries Dr Urbino, he dies, he appears to declare his love for her once more.
 
I have really mixed feelings for this book.  The story had me gripped at the beginning & the end but I have to say, I began to lose interest in the middle.  It's a true love story but personally, I found a lot of it repetitive & it began to drag on a bit which really annoyed me as I really wanted to love it!
 
We've yet to decide on the book choice for June but after 2 quite heavy reads, we're all hoping for something a little lighter next!
 
Have you read this book, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it?
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...