Wednesday 11 September 2013

September book club review

 
 
 
 
Our book club choice for September was The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga.
 
This book follows the story of village boy Balram Halwai & his attempts to free himself of India's class struggles.  It details his journey to Delhi to become a chauffeur for a rich landlord & then onto Bangalore when his life takes a drastic turn.
 
The story is told in a darkly humorous way & it examines issues such as poverty, caste, loyalty, religion & corruption in India & I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The novel made the New York Times bestseller list as well as winning the Man Booker Prize & according to the author, he wanted to capture the unspoken voice of the people from The Darkness - the impoverished areas of rural India.
 
I'm afraid there's no review for August book club because I never got around to reading it with going away & then having family here.  I will read it at some point (it was A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens) but I'm still working my way through a ginormous stack of books at the minute!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...